Does This Describe You?
Are you someone who truly wants to see into the Kingdom-spiritual realm to see angels and other activity? Do you feel your calling or gifting in Christ requires you to do so, but you haven’t been successful yet? Maybe you’ve been blessed to see the occasional episode of supernatural activity, only to stop seeing activity altogether again? These are common questions and issues that many Christians are asking today without many answers.
I, myself, have asked these very same questions before, with few answers from those actively engaging the Kingdom-spiritual realm. Sometimes those individuals were even very difficult to find! So how does the next generation of spiritual realm watchers get help? Firstly, they need to focus on Jesus and heal their spiritual sight. How do they do that? You may ask. You guessed it. The answer is in the Word of God. It never fails, and it’s a whole lot sharper than we sometimes give it credit for. Let’s take a closer look at this interesting subject together and see the pitfalls to avoid if we wish to see into the spirit. You might just find some more spiritual in-sight, (pun intended) yourself.
So, What’s the Deal Already?
Okay, you are ready to figure this thing out already. Why can’t you see angels like your friend’s sister does regularly? Here’s a quick answer in the beginning–it can be many different things. Some things you may actively be doing to hurt your spiritual eyesight, some, you were a victim of receiving from your family generational line. Those things, even though you didn’t ask for them, are still your responsibility to work through, or Kingdom spiritual sight is unlikely. The good news is that if properly addressed, you can overcome these things. Your spiritual sight can be restored and healed.
It All Begins with Our Hearts in the Spirit
Let’s start by defining how we see spiritual activity in the first place. It starts with the eyes of our hearts. We can look and not see, or we can look and perceive. Seeing is the easy part, but perceiving is not always as easy. This type of perceiving has a connection to our hearts. We perceive spiritual realities with the eyes of our hearts. According to the Bible, the heart is the seat of the emotions and part of our spiritual makeup, according to the Bible. It’s the place where our emotions, secret hopes and desires start. It is the place that actually motivates a person to do something, whether good or bad. This is why guarding our hearts is so necessary: Proverbs 4:23 TPT:
“So above all, guard the affections of your heart,Proverbs 4:23 TPT
for they affect all that you are.
Pay attention to the welfare of your innermost being,
for from there flows the wellspring of life.”
Spiritual Hearts are like Lenses
Maybe you’ve heard people talk about different ‘lenses’ of perspective. This is yet another way to describe this concept with our hearts. We start out with shiny new lenses as a baby and grow up. Through life, different challenges, hurts, and difficulties can cloud and harden those lenses and make them difficult to see out of. If you can see out of them at all, it can be skewed. ‘Normal’ isn’t normal anymore. Your clouded lens may automatically cause you to go to offense, hurt, pain, and the like with simple life issues and relationships.
Our hearts must be guarded throughout life, because life may skew our ability to see reality, such as the pure love of God for you. So many individuals cannot receive God’s love because of pain in their past, which causes them to be unable to receive it. Guarding our hearts doesn’t mean we shouldn’t trust people, it just means not to let situations, relationships, and problems skew our reality. Don’t let it set your ‘normal’ to a new reality! We must pay attention to our hearts. Become good at readjusting your ‘normal’ frequently back to the word of God and its teachings.
Let Those Spiritual Lenses Flood with Light!
Ephesians 1:18 (AMP) says it best:
“And [I pray] that the eyes of your heart [the very center and core of your being] may be enlightened [flooded with light by the Holy Spirit], so that you will know and cherish the hope [the divine guarantee, the confident expectation] to which He has called you, the riches of His glorious inheritance in the saints (God’s people).”Ephesians 1:18 (AMP)
This is an amazing verse, because it not only points out that our spiritual eyes are opened, but also tells us how they are opened. Look at the verse above again. The eyes of our hearts are flooded with light by the Holy Spirit! This is revelation light. Revelation light is revelation from the Word of God. How do I know this? Let’s keep going.
Let There Be Order from Darkness and Chaos!
The Hebrew word for ‘light’ is ‘ohr’. This word means illumination or an agent that makes something visible. However, looking at the Hebrew meaning of this word, it provides a little more information. It further means, “Giving order to something chaotic.” Imagine this word as God created the heavens and the earth! He didn’t just say, “Let there be light,” He also brought ‘order to chaos’!
We Need a Spiritual Heart Healing
Now, imagine this in relation to spiritual sight now. If the eyes of your heart can’t see spiritual revelation light, they are darkened, and therefore blind. You could also still be partially blind, too, if you see a little bit of revelation-light, but not enough. There is still darkness, and as a result, chaos. So, from Ephesians 1:18 and this Hebrew definition, we see a clearer path. If our spiritual sight is dark, we need the eyes of our hearts healed. We now know the nuts and bolts of our problem. We know what part of our spiritual body is in need, and what it needs to be healthy. 2 Corinthians 4:3-6 TPT speaks a beautiful picture of this concept and a very beautiful reality within:
“Even if our gospel message is veiled, it is only veiled to those who are perishing, for their minds have been blinded by the god of this age, leaving them in unbelief. Their blindness keeps them from seeing the dayspring light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the divine image of God.
For God, who said,
“Let brilliant light shine out of darkness,”
is the one who has cascaded his light into us—the brilliant dawning light of the glorious knowledge of God as we gaze into the face of Jesus Christ.”2 Corinthians 4:3-6 TPT
Gazing into His Face of Cascading Revelation-Light
My friends, Jesus is our revelation-light! He is the Word of God with flesh on. The first part of this verse is discussing those who do not know Christ (unbelievers). Notice their eyes are darkened by the god of the age, since they do not believe. But for those of us who do believe, we have the light of Christ Jesus, cascading into us in the face of Jesus! This light is, yes, revelation by accepting Him as Savior, but also knowing Him through personal relationship like Moses did. (Remember, his face shone!) More revelation light is revealed as we encounter the Lord daily. And like a waterfall or fountain cascades, it is continuous! Don’t have enough? Then tap into His flow! That leads us to the next question in this process.
Finding the Heart Issues & Pitfalls to Spiritual Sight
So, what is the source of the blindness or cloudiness of our spiritual sight? How can we allow the revelation light to come in, so we can clearly see into the spirit? I am glad you are asking this question, because if you are searching for the answer to seeing in the spirit realm, here are multiple things to ponder. Here are 14 pitfalls to avoid that will help you see into the spirit. We need to take an inventory and search within. Notice that eyes, hearts, hands, (works) and words are all connected. Possibly more!
- Wrong focus and any idols–Matthew 6:23 TPT–“But if your eyes are focused on money the light cannot penetrate and darkness takes its place. How profound will be the darkness within you if the light of truth cannot enter!” In this verse, Jesus discussed greediness. The darkness He mentions is actually lies and opinions, whether ours or others, that we believe!
- Intentions and Temptations–Matthew 5:28 TPT-” However, I say to you, if you look with lust in your eyes at a woman who is not your wife, you’ve already committed adultery in your heart.” Matthew 5:29-TPT” If your right eye seduces you to fall into sin, then go blind in your right eye! For you’re better off losing sight in one eye than to have your whole body thrown into hell.” Be aware that these all refer to intentions; NOT going through temptation. We must learn to stand up under temptation in all things.
- Looking at Ungodly Things–Psalm 101:3-TPT” I refuse to gaze on that which is vulgar. I despise works of evil people and anything that moves my heart away from you. I will not let evil hold me in its grip.” We must protect our eye gates. If we regularly see things that are ungodly, we are deliberately defiling our eye gates, which should be for God’s use. Pray today, vowing to God that your eyes are holy for His use only and set apart. Vow to keep your eyes holy.
- Fear--2 Kings 6:17-NIV” Then Elisha prayed and said, “O Lord, please open his eyes that he may see.” So, the Lord opened the eyes of the young man, and he saw, and behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.” In this verse, Elisha’s servant was in fear because the army of Aram had surrounded the city Elisha and the servant lived in. The servant feared for his life. It kept Him from seeing what Elisha already saw, which was the spirit realm all around them!
- Worry/prayerlessness/doubt & Unbelief/ Ungratefulness--Philippians 4:6-7 TPT-” Don’t be pulled in different directions or worried about a thing. Be saturated in prayer throughout each day, offering your faith-filled requests before God with overflowing gratitude. Tell him every detail of your life, then God’s wonderful peace that transcends human understanding will guard your heart and mind through Jesus Christ.”- This is a power packed verse! Receiving God’s peace that transcends our circumstances and understanding is nothing short of divine. This verse promises divine guarding of our hearts, as we continue to be in faith, saturated in prayer, thankful, and have a close relationship with God to tell Him every detail of your life. This is the beauty of being a Child of God. We get to know our Father, and in turn He guards our hearts and minds while staying close in relationship with us. The one who lives with a guarded heart and mind; living in close relationship with God would definitely experience more life in the spirit!
- Impure thoughts/Selfishness--Psalms 51:10 (TPT)-” Keep creating in me a clean heart. Fill me with pure thoughts and holy desires, ready to please you.” If we have clean hearts, we please God, and revelation-light can enter!
- No Adequate Teaching or Instruction –Hosea 4:6 (ESV) “My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge…” This one is a given and pretty commonplace for this type of subject. Be not deterred. If you cannot find a place to teach you, and it is your calling, God will make one for you! Do not give up and continue to pray for help.
- Going around the Mountain again and again–not learning from trials-Proverbs 17:3(TPT)-” In the same way that gold and silver are refined by fire, the Lord purifies your heart by the tests and trials of life.” Not learning from trials of life or running from them will keep your heart from refining and purifying. Be a willing participant in the fire, so purification will be yours.
- Love of the World--1 John 2:15-(TPT) “Don’t set the affections of your heart on this world or in loving the things of the world. The love of the Father and the love of the world are incompatible.” We are to be in the world, but not of the world. God calls us to be salt and light, not to blend in! Compromising here can have damaging effects on your spiritual life, and seeing will be impossible.
- Not Having a pure Heart–Matthew 5:8 (TPT)- “What bliss you experience when your heart is pure! For then your eyes will open to see more and more of God.” This scripture is very interesting, as the Greek mentions the word “see” as to see progressively more and more of God. As in, if you have a pure heart, you will progressively see more and more of God!
- God is known, but no demonstration of it in life–Romans 1:21 (TPT)-For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. This one is self-explanatory! For someone to know the right thing to do, but refusing to do it, is sin!
- Ways Impure/Unfaithful/Lier/flattery–Psalm 24:3-6(TPT)-” Who, then, is allowed to ascend the mountain of Yahweh? And who has the privilege of entering into God’s Holy Place? Those who are clean—whose works and ways are pure, whose hearts are true and sealed by the truth, those who never deceive, whose words are sure. They will receive Yahweh’s blessing and righteousness given by the Savior-God. They will stand before God, for they seek the pleasure of God’s face, the God of Jacob.” God’s standards are high when it comes to who He would have around Him on His Holy Hill. This verse says they will stand before God and seek the pleasure of God’s face. If you seek God in daily intimacy, you seek His face and become progressively conformed into His image. The more conformed to Him image you become, the more your heart becomes clean. Just like you become who you hang around with. Your heart becomes true and sealed by the truth. These folks will have the delight of standing before God. I’d say their eyes are wide open, wouldn’t you?
- Doubt--James 4:8(TPT)-” Move your heart closer and closer to God, and he will come even closer to you. But make sure you cleanse your life, you sinners, and keep your heart pure and stop doubting.” God hates unbelief. Our faith moves God. The Children of Israel saw great wonders of God, spectacular things, and yet didn’t mix that with faith. They died and didn’t enter God’s rest! Learn to get your trust in God and your faith ironclad in Him. That way, when you see His hand at work supernaturally, you can give praise to Him as He reveals and performs wonders.
- Your Words–Matthew 15:18-20(TPT)-” But what comes out of your mouth reveals the core of your heart. Words can pollute, not food. You will find living within an impure heart, evil ideas, murderous thoughts, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, lies, and slander. That’s what pollutes a person. Eating with unwashed hands doesn’t defile anyone.” In this verse, Jesus makes the point that the hidden things in the heart and our words defile a person. Again, this is the place that prompts a person into action. If it’s dark, it affects every part of a person! Make sure what you think and put into your heart is good, and good things will surely overflow out of that heart through the mouth!
God Desires Our Spiritual Eyes & Hearts Healed
What a list, and no doubt there are probably more. Search out the scriptures for yourself to see if there are more. Search your heart and be honest with yourself. See if any of these things are found in you. God doesn’t expect our perfection, but He does see our hearts! He knows the intentions and thoughts of them. He knows how darkened or pure they may be. Ask Him for more revelation on the state of your heart. He will do it!
He desires that we see into the spirit even more than we do. But only He knows if we are ready for it. Sometimes, there are things in our childhood that we aren’t even aware of that can affect our present situation. The Holy Spirit is faithful to help us root those things out of us if we but ask. Sometimes, those things are the very things that keep us from having active spiritual perception altogether. Ask Him to reveal to you what the enemy does not want you to see in this situation, and He will do it. Let’s pray.
Prayer & Spiritual Eyes Activation
Father in heaven, we thank You that you sent Jesus as our revelation light. To teach us Your ways and for dying for us, so that we can have a glorious inheritance in You. Thank You for drawing us close, Father, so that we can know You, experience You, and to serve you in partnership with You. Our desire is ruling and reigning with You, because we have a seat with You in Glory right now.
I ask You to open our eyes; the ones who are searching to know more of You. Uproot anything evil or root out any impurity within us, Holy Spirit. Convict us and remove anything blocking the flow of revelation light within our spiritual eyes. Purify our hearts, Father, and consecrate our purified eyes for Your use and bless them. Make them ready to see Kingdom realities. Thank You for Your faithfulness to all of us, because You know exactly what we need, when we need it. We love You, Lord, and thank You for the new things you will do in all of us in the coming days. In the Mighty Name of Jesus, we pray,