Is God Really Everything? 7 Ways to Put God First in Your Life.
Table of Contents
Is God really everything in your life? Can you honestly say you have reserved space for Him as the #1 top priority in your life? When we take a long look at our life, routines, agendas, and plans, where does God line up in it all? Are we putting God first?
Often, we allow the busyness of our days to overshadow our intentions to put God first. All of our planning, striving for a better life, the worry over the finances, our careers, friends and family. We are accustomed to multi-tasking and taking on more than we need to. Certainly more than God ever intended for us to say yes to.
In our rushed lives, we need to take the time to question: How can I make God the top priority? What can I let go of to create space and make God my priority?
Where is God in it all? Are we truly seeking Him with all our hearts, carving out and setting aside sacred time to be with Him?
No matter what the future holds, God’s plan is perfect. And our future does not matter on this earth if God is not our primary focus. His love is unfailing. He is the “one” thing we need! Our future and destiny are certain in Him! He contains everything we yearn for.
Ask yourself these questions.
- What is the most essential factor to consider when considering the next chapter in your life?
- Who do you turn to when you need advice about what the future holds?
- Who is the person you rely on when you need guidance on what route to take or what decisions to make?
- During times of discouragement, and you can’t seem to identify your purpose or that one battle keeps coming back. Who do you rely on? Who do you contact?
- Are you seeking the Lord to meet all your needs?
When is God First in Your Life?
Jeremiah 29:13 (CSB) You will seek me and find me when you search for me with all your heart.
Are you seeking God with all your heart? Honestly, reflect on your daily routine. When do you set aside time to make God a priority? I know in my own life if I am honest, there are days I feel the need to repent. Some days can be hectic, with a pressing deadline to get content written and published for the blog.
Other days it’s the never ending list of chores, errands, creating graphics and the list never seems to end. I have to be diligent, intentional and purposeful to set my God time at the start of my day no matter what my agenda looks like or it just won’t happen.
Yes, I have to be in my Bible talking with God throughout the day for all the blog posts I write. But that is not intentional, devoted, sacred time with God. It’s time with God to do the work He called me to do.
I have to set aside sacred time in devotional intimacy with God for myself, my needs, time to worship Him and be available to hear Him speak. Time to draw closer in my relationship with Him.
God is Waiting for You to Put Him First!
God wants more of you too, more of your time, your heart, your dependance on Him. He is waiting for you in the secret place, waiting to hear your sweet voice call out to Him in prayer.
What does your day look like? Be honest with yourself. God already knows anyway. Maybe this is your light bulb moment to pull you back. Your time to reset your focus and set your priorities straight once and for all.
What does the Bible mean when it says put God first?
Here are a few key points of what it means to make God your #1 priority:
- To make God and His Kingdom a priority all the time, not just when an emergency arises.
- The ability to value and honor God above everyone and everything else.
- To let God be our ever-present guide, to lead us daily, seeking Him for every decision we make.
- Putting complete trust in God, no matter the situation or the outcome.
- Being intentional and purposeful to grow in relationship and intimacy with God daily.
- Developing a Holy Passion and hunger for God’s Word daily.
- Letting the will of God supersede all decisions despite our own desires.
Three Benefits of Putting God First in Your Life.
- We show God honor when we put Him first. Putting God first unlocks blessings over our life.
- When we put God first, it shows trust and dependance.
- Putting God first shows and builds our measure of faith.
7 Ways to Make God First Priority in Your Life.
- When starting your day, never meet with anyone before meeting with God first!
Mark 12:30 (TPT) You are to love the Lord Yahweh, your God, with a passionate heart, from the depths of your soul, with your every thought, and with all your strength. This is the great and supreme commandment.
1 John 2:5 (TPT) But the love of God will be perfected within the one who obeys God’s Word. We can be sure that we’ve truly come to live in intimacy with God.
- Study the Bible every day at least twice: when you get up in the morning and before going to bed. (more if possible)
2 Timothy 2:15 (KJV) Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
- Pray continually, not just when you have a desperate need.
Proverbs 8:17 (TPT) I will show my love to those who passionately love me. For they will search and search continually until they find me.
Matthew 6:33 (TPT) “So above all, constantly seek God’s kingdom and his righteousness, then all these less important things will be given to you abundantly.”
- Support God’s Kingdom work through tithes, offerings, and serving. (When we find delight in the Lord we can give from a cheerful heart.)
Psalms 34:10 (TPT) Even the strong and the wealthy grow weak and hungry, but those who passionately pursue the Lord will never lack any good thing.
Psalms 37:4 (TPT) Find your delight and true pleasure in Yahweh, and he will give you what you desire the most.
- Love one another as Christ has loved you. No matter their faults or choices, love them anyway!
2 John 1:5 (TPT) Dearest woman, I have a request to make of you. It is not a new commandment but a repetition of the one we have had
from the beginning: that we constantly love one another.
- Forgive all, again and again, until no ill thoughts, bitterness or ill will remain. Forgive till only love remains.
Luke 17:4 (TPT)No matter how many times in one day your brother sins against you and says, ‘I’m sorry; I am changing; forgive me,’ you need to forgive him each and every time.”
2 Corinthians 2:10 (TPT) If you freely forgive anyone for anything, then I also forgive him. And if I have forgiven anything, I did so for you before the face of Christ
Mark 11:25 (TPT) And whenever you stand praying, if you find that you carry something in your heart against another person, release him and forgive him so that your Father in heaven will also release you and forgive you of your faults.
- Examine your life and your routines… What/Who do you truly put first? Whatever is first in your life affects who you are and how you live. Is your life a reflection of God?
Psalms 37:5 (TPT) Give God the right to direct your life, and as you trust him along the way, you’ll find he pulled it off perfectly!
Proverbs 6:10 (TPT) If you keep nodding off and thinking, “I’ll do it later,” or say to yourself, “I’ll just sit back awhile and take it easy,” just watch how the future unfolds!
Proverbs 24:27 (TPT) Go ahead, build your career and give yourself to your work. But if you put me first, you’ll see your family built up!
Ephesians 1:19 (TPT) I pray that you will continually experience the immeasurable greatness of God’s power made available to you through faith. Then your lives will be an advertisement of this immense power as it works through you! This is the mighty power.
The Ultimate Question: How Are You Seeking God With All Your Heart?
Is our first thought in any situation to call a friend, pastor, or family? Then we are not seeking God with all our hearts! When we set God as #1 in our life, yet He is not the first one we go to when we have a need, then He is not #1!
If I don’t go to God first when I need help and instead I turn to Sharla and my daughter Samantha for counsel and prayer, I’m not giving God the importance He deserves. If I haven’t asked God for help when I first face a problem, before I’ve used up all my own resources and abilities, then He isn’t the primary focus of my life.
Lessons Learned in Putting God First!
You have maybe heard it said before, but it is worth repeating:
“If you have not spoken to God about it first, then shut your mouth about it until you do!”Author unknown
Sometimes lessons like these can be a hard pill to swallow. I am right there with you on learning this one today! Too often I completely wear myself out trying to fix my own circumstances.
I will be the first one to admit that giving things to God is my biggest struggle. If I would just take it to the Father from the start, I would be less stressed, tired and worn. Not one thing I may have tried to do, done a bit of good, anyway.
God Is In Control!
God is in control, and we all know that. Our flesh is weak and too often we are just too determined to fix it ourselves instead of turning loose of the wheel and giving it to God. That is just one example of not putting God first.
We can’t be in control and yet say we are putting God first. For you, it may be something totally different. Maybe you’re just too busy and need to set some things down and rearrange your schedule. Whatever it is, know this:
Start and Finish Your Day in God’s Grace!
To start and finish our day in God’s grace, looking to Him for our needs, and cultivating an intimate relationship with Him more than any other…. That, my friend, is the beginning of putting God first in our life!
Once we can get that little part right, the rest will fall into place all on its own.
If this spoke to you today, would you leave us a comment and let us know? Sharla and I would love to connect with you here on the blog, social media, our contact form or by email. Praying for you always. Blessings, my friends. Don’t forget to like, comment and share!Sharla & Teresa